Time to jump into the Halloween festivity with what we all love, FOOD! When it comes to food during Halloween, of course, what comes to mind is pumpkin. So here’s a pumpkin recipe that is both easy and delicious. An upgrade from the classic steamed egg dish or in Korean gyeran-jjim (계란찜), is a new trendy recipe in Korea. For me, steamed egg has always been a comforting dish for me to make. It’s so easy and takes no time to whip up. As simple as it is, adding soy sauce and accompanied with rice is a complete meal if you ask me. You’ll find steamed egg being more common in Asian cuisine as a homely meal. Just by steaming the egg, the egg results in a smooth texture, almost custard like yet addictingly savoury.
NAVER | @pingu528
So where does the pumpkin come in? Make this comfort dish totally Halloween by serving it up in a pumpkin 🎃 And it’s just as easy and quick too! Steamed to be nutritious and filling, this pumpkin-egg dish may be your next one for when you have no idea what to cook. A combo that may seem quite unique but don’t underestimate this sweet-savoury mix. These two ingredients surprisingly compliments each other so well, giving you something a little different too! And of course, feel free to top it off with mozzarella for that addicting cheese pull that we can never get enough of!
Instagram | @taengoo_yamIngredients:
- Kabocha Pumpkin
- 2 Eggs
- Soy Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Cut off the stem of the pumpkin, making sure the cut hole is big enough for the egg to go in.
- Steam until pumpkin flesh is semi-cooked and scoop out the pumpkin seeds and flesh.
- For the egg mixture, add eggs, soy sauce, salt and pepper to add flavour to your liking.
- Pour mixture into the pumpkin and steam on medium heat.
- Steam until the egg is thoroughly cooked and the pumpkin flesh is soft.
- And if you would like, top with cheese and broil for a melty top that is oh-so-addictive!
Instagram | @taengoo_yam
So there you have it, with a recipe as simple as this, you can’t go wrong! Perfect whatever the meal, you have yourself a custardy savoury dish that gets even better with each sweet bite of pumpkin. A meal that’s perfectly fit for Halloween with a homey dish that’s perfect if you are staying in! The ultimate comfort dish that I sure will be making this weekend 🤭